(non-Dak,long,last post) RE: Cable Modem

From: Jack Hilton III (HEMI@charter.net)
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 10:03:09 EST

To all that are sick of this thread , I appologize , to evryone else , read
on .

My final word shall be this :

Look at who is getting into and investing in cable modems .

Microsoft , sony , 3Com , and they are just the ones off hte top of my head .

And just a few short months ago , the co-founder of Microsoft , Paul Allen
, puchased the company I work for , Charter Communications , just after
purchasing another cable company , Marcus Cable . Check out
www.paulallen.com and learn about his vision of what he calls a "Wired
World" .

Also , I would refer you to the CEO of Mindspring , Charles Brewer .

For the fast year or so he has been on Capital Hill almost begging
politicians to regulate cable so that they can force cable companies to
allow any ISP to provide service over their cable lines .

Here are just a couple of quotes from Charles Brewer :

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution , Wednesday , Jan.6 , 1999

"MIndspring founder: 'We still talk about our core values' "

Q) Where do you see the Internet industry and the role of ISPs changing and
growing over the next few years ?

A) "The advent of high-speed broadband will led to a transition over the
next few years. It's very certain that's going to happen. It's on it's way
to becoming the core of the Internet."

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution , Wednesay , Jan6 , 1999

"Mindspring: Company says bumps will be smoothed out"

"Mindspring is still not convinced it can make a profit on it [DSL] , given
what Bellsouth and other phone companies charge wholesale."

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution , Wednesday , Dec.16 , 1998

"Mindspring chief calls for increased regulation of cable"

"Brewer has said in the past that he believes open access to cable lines
will enable Mindspring to become more competitive as the Internet industry
eventually moves from a dial-up service to a high-speed environment."

And last but certainly not least , a monthly e-mail sent to all Mindspring
subscribers by Charles Brewer concerning regulation of Cable as it pertains
to ISPs (Edited for length) :