Re: LSD Differential Case, Attn: Mike

From: M. D. Nugent (carcentric@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 10 1999 - 12:36:54 EST

Thanks for the info. First, what I know: P4529273 is the number on
the moparperformance.com site for a (quote)
     SURE-GRIP DIFFERENTIAL ASSEMBLY
     Mopar Performance Parts supplies production replacement Sure-Grip
differential assemblies for rear axles. These assemblies are complete,
including instruction sheet for high performance applications.
Designed for gear ratios of 2.76:1 and numerically higher. P4529273 =
All 8-1/4" (endquote).

>From your post, it sounds like I have the LSD for a later Dakota and
it won't work on mine (regardless of the rear anti-lock status). Is
that what you meant by:
> Part Number 52068451 is the Dana TracLoc case for the 1994 thru 1996
Dakota (8 1/4). It is used with RWAL (Rear Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes).
> Part Number 4384285 is the PowerLoc case for the 1989 thru 1993
Dakota. It is also used with RWAL.

I haven't counted splines yet, either, but I thought I read somewhere
the Dodge part has 27 and the Dana 31 - true? Is there a functional
difference between the TracLoc and the PowerLoc?

One last query: > . . . Assuming you use the correct case, . . ." are
you referring to the differential carrier, or the rear axle housing
(pumpkin) that houses it?

. . . I would highly suggest you have a highly qualified axle
technician perform the switch. . . .
That was a foregone conclusion; it's obvious I'm in over my head!

Mike
Kent, WA