Re: Re: Adjusting Transmission Bands????

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 18:54:53 EST

>You'll need to change ALL of the tranny fluid if you're switching over to
>Amsoil - considerably more than 4 qts.

about a case (12 quarts) but I don't know that change ALL of the fluid is
required (besides, you can't get it all without taking out the torque
converter) unless the Amsoil fluid is not compatible (which I seriously
doubt)

>My '92 Dak has ~138k miles & I haven't adjusted the bands yet (but that
>fluid/filter change is sure a mess....) -

I have seen 904 autos (behind the old slant 6) go for over 300k without
pulling the tranny pan (not even changing the fluid) but I wouldn't endorse
that practice...

>Haynes manual says to loosen the adjusting screw locknut ~ 5 turns, tighten
>the adjusting screw to 72 in-lbs. then back off 2.5 turns, then tighten
>adjusting screw locknut back up to 30 ft-lbs. (this screw setup is on the
>outside of the tranny, just above the throttle lever and gearshift control
>lever, or right behind and above tranny cooler fitting).

Keep in mind, you will need an IN-LB torque wrench... this is a very fine
adjustment by torque wrench standards... I've seen that they sell them at
www.harborfreight.com

>For Low-Reverse, back off locknut 4 turns, tighten adjusting screw to 72
>in-lbs. and back off exactly 4 turns, then tighten locknut back up to 25
>ft-lbs. Kinda hard to describe where the L-R adjusting screw is, but you
>have to take the pan off and you should see it (it's a 2-piece-looking bolt
>with a nut on it, so you can loosen part of it and adjust the other part).

This is also a square head bolt... you will need a 5/16" 8-point socket for
the IN-LB torque wrench.

and above all, keep things clean!

Gary Shook