Re: Spark Plugs Once Again

From: Richard A Pyburn (rap777@juno.com)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 18:37:25 EST

You know, the heat shields DO come out quite easily and can easily be
re-installed. Just compress a little and they slide right out. Slip them
away from the plugs and get in there with your socket wrench. No skint
knuckles.
FWIW
Richard in SA

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:49:00 -0500 brian duffey
<brian.duffey@intelsat.int> writes:
>Jon,
>
>The plugs themselves aren't hard to take out (well, once you've taken
>the
>factory installed plugs out - broke 5 of the 8 the first time!). I
>never
>torque my plugs down too tight. Usually a 1/4 to 1/2 turn past finger
>tight
>& always put a drop or two of lube on the threads before installing.
>
>Regardless, the heat thingy-ma-jiggies still retain alot of crap in
>them
>(even after compressed air) & seem designed with the sole purpose of
>mangling knuckles. I just think if I can find something better then
>the heat
>shields, plus less hassle - why not go for it!?
>
>Granted, they are still a HELL of a lot easier then my buddies 97
>Firebird.
>Changing the plugs on that is practically a major overhaul!
>
>Duff
>'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
>MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil
>MSD 8.5 wires - K&N FIPK - F&B Stage I TBI
>-------------
>Original Text
>>From STEI0302@SMTPGATE (Jon Steiger) {stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu}, on
>16/02/1999 3:55 PM:
>To: DAKOTA-T@SMTPGATE {dakota-truck@buffnet.net}
>

>On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, brian duffey wrote:
>[...]
>> As for the heat shields on the plugs, YES - Man, I was cursing the
>designer
>> who came up with those! At least they made them removable though. I
>put
>mine
>> back on yesterday when doing the plugs, but they may be gone soon!
>

> ? I thought the plugs were quite easy to change on my '96 318. I
>didn't even have to remove the heat shields. Just pull off the
>plug wire, blow some compressed air down into the sheild, then
>use a socket wrench with a spark plug socket and an extension to break
>
>the plugs free; disconnect the wrench, spin the socket and extension
>by hand to back the plug out. Reverse the process to re-install,
>but use a torque wrench instead to torque 'em to specs.
> Maybe there are some clearance issues I don't know about with the
>newer bodystyle though.
>
> -Jon-
>
> .--- stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu
> | Jon Steiger * AOPA, DoD, EAA, MP Race Team, NMA, SPA, USUA *
>RP-SEL |
> | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.58@93.55), '96 Kolb FireFly 447
> |
> `--------------------------- http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/
>---'

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]