RE: RE: Need to confirm rumors about tires on 4x4's!

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 20:37:46 EST

I'm looking at the paperwork that came with my truck and it does have info
on the 31X10.5's. It very specifically states that the pressure should be 35
lbs front and back. This is listed in the Tire Pressure suppliment that I
received will my owners manual and all the other stuff. BTW, 10.5" tires are
not too wide for an 8" rim. The rule of thumb that every tire shop and tire
manufacturer follows is that the rim should be no less than 75% the width of
the tire. An 8" rim is 76.19% the width of the tire. You also contradict
your self by saying that if you go by the factory recommended air pressures
you will wear unevenly, but then go on to say that the literature does not
even list the 31X10.5 tires.

John
98 Dakota 4X4 CC Sport, 5.2L, Auto, Mopar Headers, DDBC, T&H Package.

<snip>
The tires are too wide for the wheels (10.5 inch wide tires on an 8inch wide
rim). If you go with the factory recommended air pressures your front tires
will wear on the outsides and your rear tires will wear in the center. If
you adjust your tire pressures to 28-30 psi rear and 38-40psi front you will
wear your tires evenly.

-some spaces-

Beware what the dealer tells you. Notice: that in all the literature that
comes with your truck, nowhere is there any indication of what your tire
pressures should be for the 31x10.5 tires.
<unsnip>