RE: Need to confirm rumors about tires on 4x4's!

From: Wayne T. Schultz (rimfax@email.msn.com)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 17:11:19 EST

The tires are too wide for the wheels (10.5 inch wide tires on an 8inch wide
rim). If you go with the factory recommended air pressures your front tires
will wear on the outsides and your rear tires will wear in the center. If
you adjust your tire pressures to 28-30 psi rear and 38-40psi front you will
wear your tires evenly.

Also you will be able to avoid a lot of unnecessary rear tire spin, that
everyone has been talking about.

You can verify the wear (since you have new tires) by looking to see where
the little nubs on your new tires wear off.

Beware what the dealer tells you. Notice: that in all the literature that
comes with your truck, nowhere is there any indication of what your tire
pressures should be for the 31x10.5 tires.
I just got a 99 Dakota Sport + CC 4x4 last Wednesday and have loved it
since.

While having the dealership look at the vehicle for some visual oddities, I
was
informed that I needed to have the tires rotated every 3000 miles in order
prevent severe cupping on them. I was told by the service manager that this
has
been a problem with Dodge trucks ever since they came out.

Can someone confirm/deny this? I thought that cupping was caused only by
tire
imbalance?!?!

Thanks!

Chris

My comments do not represent my company.