Re: 4X4 tire Pressures

From: Roderic Vaughan (rodeaux@CWIX.com)
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 14:27:02 EST

I was wondering what was the pressure so set the rear tires at.

Roderic

Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:14:08 -0500
From: "Wayne T. Schultz" <rimfax@email.msn.com>
Subject: DML: Re: new truck-tire wear

Wait, Wait, Wait....

First, Dodge never listed the tire pressures on the door jamb for the 31
inch tires.

Second, The 35 PSI listed on the door jamb for the tires refers to the
standard wheel and tire package. It lists 35 PSI at all 4 corners.

Third, I have used the factory settings of 35PSI. This gave the following
results:

        Front Tires: Significant wear on the outside of the tread.
        Rear Tires: Significant wear in the center of the tire tread.

As an engineer you must agree that the more rubber you have in contact with
the pavement the better coefficient of friction. Thusly, better traction.

    In the case of my rear tires, which were wearing in the center (Empty
Bed), must be caused by over-inflation. (You have to agree, because if
they were underinflated they would wear on the outside).

    To remedy this, I used and Autocrossing trick. I got some white
shoepolish, and ran it across the rear tread. I drove around. I removed
some air pressure. I drove around. I did this until I had even wear across
the rear tires.

    The fron tires were more of guess, as to what the right pressure would
be, based on the look of the rear tire which was now properly inflated for
the weight it was carrying. I think I settled on 38 or 39 psi for the
front. This took care of the cupping problem in the front.

I don't see how a tire that is not getting a proper footprint on the road
will ever wear properly.