Re: all go and no whoa!

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 17 1999 - 17:23:52 EST

<< My 97 dakota has 75,000 miles now, it has been great on parts except for
 brakes and just a fan clutch which was under warrenty. At 20K miles it
 was grinding the rotors, I had rotors turned and new pads replaces.

 I then started to watch them. At 32K I replaced the pads again, then at
 50K miles I had to replace both rotors, pads, shoes, and turn drums.
 When I had the brakes done the 3rd time at 50K I had my step fathers
 Meineke shop do them and I just check them a couple of days ago around
 75K miles and they still had 50%-60% life left. I asked him why they was
 lasting so long and he said it was because we put on better stuff then
 the factory, and because we have to garentee them we almost have to put
 better parts on.

 Also you might want to know what helps the brake wear on my dakota so
 fast and that is because I do alot of hauling heavy loads, contruction
 tools, trash trailers, job boxs, horse trailers, and a 16' flatbed with
 cars and tractors and also anything else on a trailer that does not fit
 in the back of my truck while out on the ranch.

 I guess with my story I'm wondering if anyone else is having brake
 problems or what the normal wear for their brakes is, and just what kind
 of stress that I'm putting on my brakes with all the loads that I hual
 compared to someone that does not do a lot of braking with heavy loads.

DAMN, I guess the odler Dak's were the best, hehe. I own a 93 Dakota and still
have factory rotors at 100,750 miles! I have turned the front rotors 2 times
each(they are still within specs, just cannot be turned anymore) and the rear
drums have been turned 2 times also. I did replace one caliper after it
started to leak, no biggie though, that was at 95,000 miles. I do tow a 3000
pound boat/trailer 4 months out of the year, so its not as bad as your towing
ordeal. I have found that the Carbon Metallic brakes from Autozone are great!
and cheap! and Lifetime warranty! I can do the front brakes in about 1 hour,
very simple. The rears are eh, but still not hard to do at all. I would never
let a brake job place work on my Dakota, too many bad experiences with them
with my previous vehicles, plus it's very easy to do and saves $$$$
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6