RE:DML '87 Dakota overheating

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 11:22:53 EST

   My little sister's car had this problem (Toyota GTS) and we did all the
same things to it. Assumed it was okay but it ended up blowing the engine
(oil everywhere!). The problem turned out to be that the engine was running
too lean and causing it to overheat.
   First, make damn sure that the fluid is the correct temp. Strap a
thermometer (that can handle the heat) to the lower radiator hose. This will
tell you if your gauge is even close. If it is, then you have a problem with
the engine. If it isn't and you've replaced the sender and the gauge, the
only thing I can think of is that you have some blockage around the sender
unit and it's not letting the unit 'see' the actual water temp, making it
report a false signal. I'd flush the hell out of the engine...

Shaun H.