Changing R/A Ratio: Attn: Bucky

From: DRD892@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 08:37:29 EST

Good Morning,

For the 1991 Model Year, Chrysler offered the 3.21, 3.55 and 3.90 ratios.
PowerLoc was available for the 3.55 and 3.90 but I'm not sure about the 3.21.
The 1991 axles used Net Formed Gears and 27 tooth splines. They are
NOT interchangeable with the 1997 and up which uses Face Hobb Gears
and 29 tooth splines. Also the PowerLoc/TracLoc cases have changed and
cannot be interchanged.

You can order a 3.90 Gear Set from MOPAR service. It will come as a Pack
with the bearings and such. If you decide to order the gear set, make sure
the dealer orders the correct one and not the newer 3.92.

Rebuilding the differential correctly is a tricky business and does require
special tools. Although the prices quoted seem a little high. I would
suggest
that you have a qualified shop build the differential so you do not have
problems
down the road.

The current ratios for Dakotas (1997 and up) are 3.21 (Open Case only),
3.55 Open or Tracloc and 3.92 Open or Tracloc. A 4.10 is comming for the
Year 2000 but it will be for the RAM only.

Believe it or not, there are currently 31 different Rear Axles in production
for
the 1999 Dakota. All depends on: 4X4, 4X2, brake size, ratio, Open or
TracLoc,
SwayBar brackets or not, etc. etc.

Hope this helps.

David R.