Diagnosing Worn Tie-Rod Ends

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Sun Feb 21 1999 - 13:09:21 EST

I replaced my idler arm about 5,000 miles ago and looked over the rest of the
steering linkage parts. I have a question concerning the tie rod ends. How do
I know they need to be replaced? I can get under my Dakota and grab the tie
rod, both the drivers/passenger side, and I am able to turn/wiggle the tie rod
back and forth; this leads to tell me that the tie rod ends need to be
replaced. I have heard also that you can tell they need replacing is to jack
the front tires off the ground and if they are bad the tire will have play in
it when jiggling it up and down. Any suggestions on this? No biggie if I have
to put new ones on, I just want to know if I really have to do it now or if it
can wait. Thanks
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6; 101,000 miles