Re: Re: R/T in Burlington Ont.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 17:23:06 EST

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Bob Tom wrote:

> >Jon S. wrote:
> >Are either of you guys going to the Toronto Auto show?
> >A bunch of us are planning on going Saturday the 27th.
>
> Hi, Jon
>
> I won't be able to make it because of pre-scheduled family events.
> Please say hello to the gang for me and give them my best.
>
> BTW, if you keep coming across the border, you're going to
> have to take out landed immigrant status.

  Heh heh heh! :-) If I get on a first name basis with any
of the customs agents, then I'll start to worry... ;-)

> Also, I forgot to ask the last time we got together. What type
> of OBD-II scanner have you got...what are its capabilities...about
> what price range?

  Its about $300US. Its made by Ease Simulations, and there is a lot
of info and screen shots at: http://www.easesim.com/ Basically,
it lets you monitor the sensor outputs and such, gives you speed,
rpm, etc. There isn't any record/playback in this version though,
you have to pay more for that. Its too bad you won't be able to make
it; we could have hooked it up to your truck and you could have seen
how it worked...

  Unfortunately, if you really nail the throttle, it'll lose
communications with the computer. Apparently there is a
bug/feature in the Mopar PCM such that under extreme accelleration
or changes in state (something like that), the PCM only pays attention
to the things it considers important (like the proper running of the
engine), and it disconnects from the external OBD-II port. So its
not real useful at the drag strip. :-(

> Have a ball ... but I don't need to say that, eh?

  :-)

                                              -Jon-