Re: RE: Premag vs. Mag

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 13:25:47 EST

The heads are interchangeable, but you must match the intake to the heads..
the intake bolt holes go straight into the head (~45deg angle) on
pre-magnums, but on magnums they are vertical... Mopar Muscle did an article
late last year that showed about 70 HP more by putting Magnum heads on a
340...

The valvetrain is also different... the pre-magnums used a oiled shaft that
the rockers pivoted on, while the Magnum heads use a hollow pushrod for
oiling, and use a rocker stud setup... so actually, the Magnum heads don't
need oiling holes.. (they get oil through the pushrod)

I also think that the pre-Magnum didn't use a roller cam (Magnum does) and I
think they went from a dual-plane intake design to the keg-barrel style the
Magnum uses

I could probably find more exact descriptions if you like, let me know if
this answers your questions adequately.

Gary Shook