Re: Fw: Help! 99 Dak won't start!

From: Gary Shook (gary.shook@mci.com)
Date: Mon Mar 01 1999 - 17:43:06 EST

just curious, no help fromt the dealer on this?

something else that comes to mind that's moisture sensitive is the TPS (throttle position sensor)... it's on the throttle body, and it's just a variable resistor... I've had them go bad after washing the engine in a Genericar.... but it should be covered under warranty...

If I think of anything else, I'll send it, but otherwise.. good luck.

Gary Shook

    The past 3 mornings, I have had trouble starting.

    Day 1, crank for 5 sec, won't start, crank again for 5 sec, started but rpm's came up slowly.

    Day 2, Cranked for 10 sec, finally started, rpms came up slowly.

    Day 3, Cranked for 5 sec, rpm's came up slowly.

    Day 4, Today, cranked continually for a cumulative time of about 3 minutes! Still has not started. If cranked for a long time, it starts to catch but never does start.

    I had the same problem with my 94 5.2L Dak, Now with a 99 and the same engine, I have it again! The problem seem to be related to weather, low 30's and a lot of moisture (fog or snow).

    On my 94, I replaced 4 fuel pumps, 5 distributor caps, 2 sets of plug wires, 2 sets of spark plugs, 1 throttle body, and 1 coil. 2 years later, after living with the problem, It died on me one day and the dealer found a corroded power wire to the computer. It worked after that.

    I dont think that the problem is related to corrosion on my 99, its only 5 months old! I have added the following:

    MSD 6-A
    MSD Blaster III coil
    Edelbrock Headers & Y-pipe (The problem did start the day after I installed them)
    Flowmaster 3"
    K&N Air filter
    Ported throttle body
    180 Degree thermostat

    The only similarities between the the 94 and 99 is the K&N and the flowmaster.

    Could I have damaged the O-2 sensor?
    Why does this only happen in cold, damp weather?

    If anyone can help me lick this problem I would be in debt to you forever!

    Mark
    99 Dakota 5.2L 5-speed
    flyboy01@worldnet.att.net