brake lights

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Wed Mar 03 1999 - 23:09:48 EST

The driveway to my house is steep and icy. Just now I was driving up in

2WD, when the back wheels lost their traction. I continues to rev the
engine and spin the back wheels until further forward progress was an
imposibility without 4WD. Upon stepping on the brake, the ABS and Brake

lights came on simultaneously!! Any one experience this
before,,,,what's up here?????

-Mine started coming on recently too. I notice it if I sit in drive
with my foot on the brake, like waiting at the bank or McD's drive
through. Seems to happen if I release my foot just a tad enough to
allow the truck to edge forward then I step on the pedal harder so I
dont run into the person in front of me, then the lights come on. I
havent had a chance to pop the master cylinder caps to check the fluid
level there, but it wouldnt surprise me if it was just the fluid low and
the brake warning switch puts both lights on, but I'm gonna pull the
wheels and bleed all the brakes just be sure. I did replace the master
cylinder about 6 months ago.
  Another idea, the ABS may work by comparing the input to the computer
for the speed sensor mounted on the transmission to the input from the
rear abs sensor mounted on the differential, and when there is a
discrepency, put the lights on then? Wouldnt happen in normal driving
except in panic situations, but could easily happen driving on snow/ice.

Patrick