Repost of: Offroad in N.C.

From: brian duffey (brian.duffey@intelsat.int)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 08:39:00 EST

WTF !!! is going on? O.K. - Third time is the charm. I'm going to re-post
this again. If it doesn't come thru I'll have to assume the evil email
administrator is F'ing with me!

***************
The Uhawarrie has tons of very cool trails... there is also a write up on
the 'net somewhere (one of the Offroad lists) with pictures, trail
descriptions, etc. (I'll try to find it later)

There are also some areas over near Natahala (can't remember if they are
part of The Uhawarrie), or if they are 'official' offroad areas. Also some
good areas in SW Virginia, but that may be a bit of a drive for you if
you're in Charlotte.

A word of advice, if you go to The Uhawarrie (sic?) be sure you are prepared
and/or check your trails well before getting into it too deep. I've seen
some 'serious' off road vehicles (well modified Wranglers/CJ's &Cherokees)
get themselves in some truly unpleasent jams there!

If it has been wet out, be even more careful! Seen a variety of vehicles
come out with dented/crushed body panels/doors from sliding into trees &
rocks on off-camber slopes. These were NOT inexperienced off-roaders or
people hot dogging. If you don't have a winch, stick to the service road
type trails, or make sure someone in your group has a winch, come along or
Hi-Lift, recovery straps, etc.

Not trying to discourage anyone, but basically if you plan on using the DAK
for Off-roading, be prepared for it to show some battle scars (potentially
major). The DAKs are pretty competent Off-Roaders (even stock), if you know
the limits and use some common sense.

Tread Lightly,

Duff
'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil
MSD 8.5 wires - K&N FIPK - F&B Stage I TBI
Rancho 5000/9000's, 30x9.5s