RE: Re[2]: : Pinging????

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 08:32:56 EST

The intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and yes...even the airbox come into
play when emissions certifications are looked at. It may not be in the case
with the Dak in question...but there are such things as "Smog Legal"
headers.

Example1: If you install headers that, in some way, modify or disable the
emissions equipment (air tubes, O2, etc.), and the check engine light comes
ON...you take it to the dealer and they will tell you that it will not be a
warranty job since the headers installed do not have an EO# and/or they have
disabled part of the original emissions configuration.

Example2: You install headers on a vehicle that had manifolds, no air tubes,
and no 02 sensor. You take it to get your vehicle smogged and they FAIL you
on the visual. Why? The heat riser tube (that you didn't think was
required) is a part of the emissions configuration (cold start/run mode).
It's a $5.00 fix but it failed regardless.

C'Ya....