Driveshaft balancing

From: Chris Tesinsky (yellowrt@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 21:05:03 EST

Heres the whole story. Monday night I dropped my driveshaft so it can
be taken in on Tuesday to be balanced ( 6" aluminum driveshaft ). I
install the driveshaft on Tuesday night but I didn't test it out, it was
raining out. So yesterday (wednesday) I took it out on I-55 and hit
about 65 and heard a sound, I thought the tire kicked up a rock. So I
hit about 95 and it is vibrating like crazy. So I get home and look at
the driveshaft and discover the weights which were epoxied on the shaft
had taken flight, all 3 of them. So I pull the driveshaft out and send
it back to the guy. He was dumb founded when I told him the story. So
he rebalanced it and epoxied the weights again, but put a strap around
the weight, similar design to a hose clamp. I had it up to 110 tonight
with no problems. I believe what initially happened is that they didn't
mix enough of the hardener in the epoxy. But it is perfect now, now the
battle to try to get reimbursed $45 for the balancing.

Chris Tesinsky
'99 Solar Yellow R/T CC