Re: 17" Wheels on 99 4x4

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 05 1999 - 01:56:49 EST

Umm, I'm sitting here wondering "WHY!??!!" I mean, it's a 4x4! What
are lower profile tires going to give you? Most 4x4'ers I know want
more sidewall to give 'em better traction off-road. I guess you're
not planning on taking it off road . . . ? I'm trying to imagine the
look and it just isn't a pretty picture in my head. If I'm not gett'n
it, please explain further.

Later,
JY
'98 4x4 CC 5.2L

---Brent Hackl <BHackl@nrginfo.com> wrote:

> I'm just about to buy a 99 4x4 club cab, and have been researching
wheels and tires a bit. I'd like to put 17" wheels and tires on it
from day one to improve the handling and looks. I think I'll
> probably go with a set of the 17x9 rims for the R/T. I'd like to
put on the largest 17" tires that I can without modification (it would
be nice if the speedo could be reasonably accurate too).

> I think I can go with 275/60 R17 tires all around, IF THE OFFSET ON
THE 17X9 R/T RIMS IS THE SAME AS THE OFFSET ON THE 15X8 DAK RIMS. Has
anyone tried this? Here's my thinking.....

> The stock Goodyear Wrangler RT-S 31x10.5 tires that come on the 15x8
rims are very close in height and overall width to a P275/60 R17, at
least the specs on the Dunlop Sport Rover GTX look the same.
> Here's the key info from the specs on the Goodyear and Dunlop web
sites:

> 31x10.5 R15 P275/60 R17
> diameter 30.4" 30"
> overall width 10.6" 10.9"
> tread width 7.7" 8.8"
> revs per mile 683 698
>
> The tread width is quite different, but I'm hoping that overall
width is more important for clearance??? I used the DML Tire & Wheel
Calculator

(http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html)
to compare the two generic sizes (using P265/75 R15 in place of
31x10.5 because the Goodyear specs for the 2 sizes are nearly
> identical), and it says my speedo would be slow by only 2%.
>
> FYI - here are links to the respective Goodyear and Dunlop specs.....
> http://www.goodyear.com/nat/pclt_cat/products/wrangler_rts_specs.html
> http://www.dunloptire.com/tires/Rover_GTX.html
>
> SO.... MY QUESTIONS ARE:
> 1. What is the exact offset of the R/T 17x9 rims and of the 15x8
Dak rims? Will the 17x9 rims hold the tire at the same location, or
will they be closer in, or sticking further out?