17" Wheels on 99 4x4

From: Brent Hackl (BHackl@nrginfo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 04 1999 - 21:23:29 EST

I'm just about to buy a 99 4x4 club cab, and have been researching wheels and tires a bit. I'd like to put 17" wheels and tires on it from day one to improve the handling and looks. I think I'll
probably go with a set of the 17x9 rims for the R/T. I'd like to put on the largest 17" tires that I can without modification (it would be nice if the speedo could be reasonably accurate too).

I think I can go with 275/60 R17 tires all around, IF THE OFFSET ON THE 17X9 R/T RIMS IS THE SAME AS THE OFFSET ON THE 15X8 DAK RIMS. Has anyone tried this? Here's my thinking.....

The stock Goodyear Wrangler RT-S 31x10.5 tires that come on the 15x8 rims are very close in height and overall width to a P275/60 R17, at least the specs on the Dunlop Sport Rover GTX look the same.
Here's the key info from the specs on the Goodyear and Dunlop web sites:

                31x10.5 R15 P275/60 R17
diameter 30.4" 30"
overall width 10.6" 10.9"
tread width 7.7" 8.8"
revs per mile 683 698

The tread width is quite different, but I'm hoping that overall width is more important for clearance??? I used the DML Tire & Wheel Calculator
(http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/WWW/DAKOTA/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html) to compare the two generic sizes (using P265/75 R15 in place of 31x10.5 because the Goodyear specs for the 2 sizes are nearly
identical), and it says my speedo would be slow by only 2%.

FYI - here are links to the respective Goodyear and Dunlop specs.....
http://www.goodyear.com/nat/pclt_cat/products/wrangler_rts_specs.html
http://www.dunloptire.com/tires/Rover_GTX.html

SO.... MY QUESTIONS ARE:
1. What is the exact offset of the R/T 17x9 rims and of the 15x8 Dak rims? Will the 17x9 rims hold the tire at the same location, or will they be closer in, or sticking further out?
2. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
...Brent Hackl
(soon-to-be 99 5.2 4x4 CC owner)