RE: Re: RE: water in OEM Muffler

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Sun Mar 07 1999 - 10:38:33 EST

Oops...almost forgot:

The Catalytic Converter uses a honey-comb mesh combination of Platinum,
Palladium to convert (chemical/thermal reaction induced with heat from the
exhaust) Hydrocarbons and Carbon Monoxide (HC, CO) into Carbon Dioxide and
Water (CO2, H2O).

Condensation is a normal occurrence in any exhaust system (Stock/OEM,
Aftermarket, etc) and only occurs in the morning or late night (weather
depending). The manufacturers put the small holes in their mufflers since
they don't use higher grade or "rust resistant" metal (stainless,
galvanized, aluminum) to prevent premature rusting of the muffler. The only
performance loss is the OEM muffler since they're designed for quiet
operation and not performance. (There are exceptions but very few...even
the 5.9L Jeep "Limited Edition", which uses a Factory Hi-Flow Performance
Muffler has these holes.

(You can see the effects of condensation much easier my taking a can of beer
from a cooler and setting it on a picnic bench...much cheaper way than Peas
and you don't have to make Split Pea soup after you're done with the test.)
:)

Regards,

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
bernd@texas.net
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd
1997 Dakota SLT-CC (3.9L)
License Plate Frame: "Don't Follow Me...I'm Trolling for Toyota's"
Song for the Day: "Gonna buy me a Dodge Truck and blow those Fords off the
road....."