Re: Open Element Baseplate Choice

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 17:56:27 EST

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999 GrnDak4x4@aol.com wrote:

> I have been investigating doing an open element air filter system.
> In alot of your web sites,some if not all say something to this affect: "I
> used the Edelbrock air cleaner assembly because it had an integral PCV inlet
> on the bottom piece." What is so special about this base and why do I need
> one? Why do I need this base if on my stock air filter housing, the PCV isnt
> going into the filter housing. Why can't I just go out and get a base with no
> 'nipple' or 'inlet' on the base of it?f I do go with this homebrew system, I
> would simply use an open element valve cover breather also. Please help me
> understand the choice of the baseplate better.

    Yes, your idea of using an open element valve cover breather will
work also. I guess most people either want to save the expense and hassle
of buying a valve cover breather, or many people just assume they need
the valve cover to be vented to the airbox. (Its possible that there is
some sort of emissions requirment here for some people; the EPA may prefer
that the gasses from your valve cover go through the engine again to try and
clean them up.) So, maybe some people go that route to avoid the emissions
hassles.

  Many bases are probably set up to go both ways... My Mr. Gasket
air can had an insert that I had to knock out in order to put the
PCV nipple there. You could also leave the insert alone if you
wanted to use a seperate valve cover breather.

                                              -Jon-