Re: Sport Truck Connection(K&N)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 08 1999 - 19:25:09 EST

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Alan Short wrote:

> > Said it would give an extra 27hp to a stock 5.9.
> Man, I love these manufacturer hp claims. 27 hp? From an air filter
> setup? Even on a vehicle that responded well to mods, 27 hp would be WAY
> too much to gain. For a OBD II 360, maybe .27 hp or possibly 2.7 would
> be more like it. Personally, I'm sure you could remove the hood and the
> air cleaner assembly all together and not dyno 27 more hp.
> This may seem harsh, but I have one and I know how well they respond to
> mods, especially intake/air filter/ram air stuff. None of that will help
> much without exhaust work, and a few other
> mods. Alan S. '98 R/T 14.28 @ 94.58

   Agreed. The figure I've seen thrown around the most for the switch from
a stock airbox to an open element K&N is 10hp. I'd say if you got 10hp
out of such a switch, you're doin' pretty good. 27hp is ludicrous. I wonder
if they will be doing a show on how you can gain 5hp by installing a "Sport
Truck Connection" decal on your rear window? ;-)

                                              -Jon-