Re: Thermostat Questions(Too Cold?)

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 14:15:30 EST

My stock tstat that I want to replace is 195 degrees, say I do get a 180
degree tstat, is there any possibility that this will make my engine actually
run too cool? When I start my Dakoat up now, it the temp guage, once it warms
up, will come up to its normal spot on the temp guage and rarely if never
move; now the temp guage needle always comes up and sits about about 1/4; no
where even close to 1/2 on the guage. Since my truck I guess normally runs
cool, I am just concerned about going to a 180
tstat and having the engine never come up normal operating temperatures. A
local parts store I called today said that stock tstats rated at 195 will
actually just start to open up a 205 degrees; If I were to buy an aftermarket
tstat rates at 195 it will open fully within 2 degrees of 195. So should I not
be worried about my engine running too cool and just get a 180 degree tstat??
Or buy a good aftermarket 195 one?? HELP!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6