Want new truck-need suggestions

From: Pedro J. Diaz (pjdmd@mho.net)
Date: Tue Mar 09 1999 - 22:52:05 EST

# 1 :  do your research.
         I recommend  going to
                 http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/trucks/Dodge.Trucks/t498.98.html#whatsnew
         also   http://www.truckworld.com/Truck-Tests/1996-Dodge-Dakota/1996-Dodge-Dakota.html
           or   http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Dodge/Dakota , although I like Edmund's better.

#2    get your pricing on all your options.  If you'll note there are a
lot of DML guys and gals who lament not ordering a knick knack early on.  It will cost you much more later to add it on.
I highly recommend the steering wheel radio controls if you get the stock radio.  I also love the leather steering wheel.

#3   WAIT and think it through.  trust me. I personally feel it is better to wait an extra month and save up for what you really want.   Read the DML for pointers, check out the archives.

#4    When you are ready to order, at the bottom of the edmumds page, autobytel.com will ask you some questions, then someone from a participating dealership will call you.

#5    Price will be Invoice, plus about 500 for destination charge, about 450 for advertising ( sorry, you're paying for the cool Dak ads on TV) , about 350 in dealer prep charge, plus you get a cash back bonus now.  They will also tell you it will be so many dollars in addition over invoice.  I thought I had no choice and paid an extra $700.  But then I found out I didn't have to.  Say NO.  If they huff, go back to autobytel.com and find another dealer in your area.  Reason you can do that is that the manufacturer gives the dealer a 3% holding fee.  It is to cover the interest cost on the capital invested in the car which now will sit in their lot for an average 6 months.  Since you are picking it up about 12 h after it gets there, that is pure profit for them anyway.  So even at invoice, they hear the coins kaching-ing.

#6  Advice:  when they send you the sample order form, review it very carefully before signing.  They are very prone to forget some things.  Luckily I found some options they left out.  There have been horror stories of ordering Club Cabs and getting regular cabs 2 months later.      Then, when it comes in, price will likely be higher.  Recheck Edmund's because prices can go up in a mere month.

Good luck

Pedro Diaz