Re: Sorry to have caused a conflict...Every D is a great D.....

From: Dak99RT@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 05:28:14 EST

In a message dated 3/11/99 4:21:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
adeanda@earthlink.net writes:

<>

OK, thanks for the input. Remember I told you I would build a similar project
to your for a lot less money from local shops? And that once I did I'd post it
on my site? Well, that is what I was talking about. And I was simply keeping
my word. As far as having a mandrel bent air-intake...I think that is more
humorous and appeal to the eye than functional. By the way have you done any
dyno tests with your setup compared to stock and even more...a drop-in K&N
with the $1 S-bolt? I'd bet its less than 1 HP over a drop-in style. I've had
an 11 second Turbo Buick that used the same cone I used on my Dakota air-
intake and was able to develop over 430 HP at the rear wheels (and yes, I
realize I was forcing air though that filter but, it just goes to show, you
don't need to get an air filter the size of a coffee can to produce more HP).
So to me...air intakes are nothing more than show pieces to an extent ...
until the rest of the motor is opened up enough to require a larger filter. As
far as the ridges you were speaking of...I am not real sure what you meant...I
filed and polished the ends of my pipe...unless you were talking about people
who use the dryer hose...which in my view is even better than mine and your
setup if performance for the dollar is taken into account. I'm sure I have
brought you business and I am even going to put a link to your site on my
site. People have probably seen my setup...compared it to the 360 degree
filters and then researched yours ... some may have decided to go with yours
for the better looks. But they need to be prepared to spend the little extra
cash to do it. As for me...I think my air-filter setup is retired for now. I
had it on for a few weeks and decided to put the factory drop-in back in
because it was too noisy. What's funny is that I felt no loss in power. I feel
there is only a need for a bigger air filter once you do the rest of the mods
that would require more air...like porting the throttle body, headers, cat
back exhaust, nitrous, etc. So good luck with your small enterprise I hope I
have drummed up some business for you. You are a great guy and deal well with
the aware Dakota/Durango community. I am not selling anything ... just putting
my ideas out there for others to use if they choose to do so. I'm not here to
make money ... just help others have a better faster more appealing Dakota so
you shouldn't worry about me taking any business off of you. I think everyone
on this list is well aware of what they think is good for there truck or not.
By the way like I said before if you just wanted to help out the Dodge
community you should also in addition to your sales put a list of what and
where you purchased your kit on your site as I have on mine. Then the Dakota/
Durango enthusiast could really benefit from both worlds...getting a good
lookin air-intake with the pride to do it themselves...we are not talking
rocket science here...just a bent tube and a K&N. For those who simply can't
or don't want to do it...I'll send your way. Take care and again good luck.
This is the last I talk about this because I simply don't care anymore.
Sorry so long,
Charles smith
1999 Dakota R/T
15.0@95 mph (g-tech)