Heater/AC Blower Motor Problems

From: David Shimmin (david.shimmin@mci.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 14:51:10 EST

Ok here's a good one! The heater/AC blower motor will not work at all.
Here's the list of things I've checked per the factory & Chiltons manual
with the results if any. I've even called and spoke with the dealer service
manager. One other interesting symptom is that the back-up lights don't
work either. The switch is OK. The wiring diagrams show these two
systems have a common point of power at the fuse block and share the
same fusible link from the battery via the ignition switch.
Any help from the vast ocean of knowledge on this list would be appreciated.

        Action Result
1. Checked/replaced fuse OK
2. Checked battery voltage at input
      to fuse block. 11.30vdc **
3. Blower motor works when 12vdc is
      applied directly from battery. OK
4. Voltage at motor connector 11.30vdc **
5. Resistor block checks good with meter OK
6. Fusible link(s) look good OK
7. Cleaned and re-seated all connectors OK
8. Pulled control unit from dash and
      checked with meter (VOM) OK
9. Checked for good ground OK
10.Checked continuity from fusible link to
     fuse block. OK

** = should be the same as battery, 12.5vdc

Thanks

Dave Shimmin

'88 LE, Silver/Charcoal, 3.9L, LB,
LT245 / 70R15, Hella 550s.