Re: Question on going faster

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 15:22:46 EST

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, Jason Jennings wrote:

> Ok here's the scoop. I'm comfortable with my 14 times. What kind of HP
> increase would I need to drop a full second on my quarter mile ets???
> What can I do to my little R/T to jump from a 14.66 to a 13.5 flat????
> I have about a month before I see a few of our VPs at the track with
> their Vettes. I know the new stock Vettes are good for a 13.5 or so
> stock. I need to jump from fun to Vette run soon..... I can't let the
> company VPs take me out. The corporate peasants must revolt, REVOLT I
> SAY, hahahahahahaha.... Not too mention, if I drop to the mid 13s. I
> can successfully kill tons of 4Duhs. In need of serious help here,
> thanks. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the restrictions. I need full motor
> power, i.e. no bottles, zero on the ignition, zap the superchargers.
> The only thing I will consider is the reprogrammed SBEC as far as
> ignitions/bottles/superchargers. Thanks again.

   13.5 on the motor shouldn't be a problem at all. It just depends
on how fast you want to spend. :-)

   If you want to stay naturally aspirated, you're looking at a
new intake (M1 drilled for injectors or the MPI when it comes out)
a cam, and ported heads. You should be able to get all that for
about $1,500 (under $2,000 for sure), but again, it depends on how
extreme you want to get. The faster you want to go, the more you
have to spend. (Especially true in the case of head porting.)
   If you still have your stock throttle body on the truck, that'd
be something to change. (Either port and polish it, or buy an
aftermarket one such as DML Engineering, MPI, MP, etc.)

  Slicks should knock a couple of tenths off your time. A higher
stall torque converter would probably help too. (I'm the wrong
guy to ask about this though, I don't really know much about 'em.)
A ram-air hood should knock another .2-.3 off. There's other stuff
you can do like milling the heads to increase your compression ratio,
etc. Just depends on where you want to draw the line. :-)

                                              -Jon-