Re: RE: DML Exhaust rattle...found!!

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 19:10:51 EST

Hey, that's great! I've talked to JBA a couple of times and it's always
been a positive experience.

Let us know if the "pad" works... It sounds like I'll need some of that
myself.

T.
Subject: DML: RE: DML Exhaust rattle...found!!
Author: <dakota-truck@buffnet.net> at smtpout
Date: 3/11/99 6:25 PM

Hello fellow DML'ers:

Well, after receiving some good opinions and advice about my exhaust rattle,
I crawled under the truck again and poked around the passenger side of the
Y-pipe. What I found was that on the passenger side of the Y-pipe, it looks
like the thick oval mounting flange is probably hitting the frame. The
clearance between the frame rail and the flange was so close that I couldn't
even get my index finger between them. I checked the driver's side and the
middle crossover, and everything looks O.K. there. Needless to say, there
is no way to bend the Y-pipe or the header away from the frame rail at this
point. So, I called Jeff at JBA and explained to him the situation. He was
surprised to hear about my problem, and told me that he has never heard of
this before. Jeff was very understanding and considerate, even offering to
send me a replacement passenger side header!!! I told him thanks, but that
this course of action would be of last resort. Jeff said that he had some
thick padded heat shielding called a "blanket" that he would send to me. He
wants me to wire this in place on the frame rail where the exhaust flange is
hitting to silence it. I told him that I would try it. Any opinions about
this? Has anyone else had this happen? Thanks again for all of your
helpful opinions and advice.

Michael Reynolds
'98 Dakota Sport 4X4
5.2L Flame Red