Cool Can; Was: Ram Air waste of money?

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 19:46:27 EST

I think the main objective is to cool the fuel line, not the air. I've not
personally seen the "Cool Cans" but understand that you can make a cheap one
by extending your fuel line, wrapping it repeatedly around a 1-gallon coffee
can (somewhere in the engine compartment) before running it up to the fuel
rail, then filling the coffee can with ice (mixed with some salt for
supercool) a little while before you make your run. As the fuel flows
around the coffee can, it becomes VERY cool & provides a power increase upon
combustion. Theory: You want the fuel as cold as possible when entering
the cylinder, but want the cylinder as hot as possible during ignition.

If it works too well, you may want to add a little isopropyl alchohol to
your gas so the line doesn't freeze ;~)