Re: DML Digest V4 #437

From: Dwilsonpsl@aol.com
Date: Thu Mar 11 1999 - 23:35:08 EST

Warning... Warning...
Trans-go shift kits will destroy your 46RE tranny!! I wrote to you awhile back
about my tranny problems, asking for help. Well, I have more bad luck,
unfortuantely :( I had a so called friend rebuild my tranny and it didn't
last 60 miles. So I am still without my R/T! I have been doing intensive
research on the 46RE's. The trans-go shift kits cause the computer to destroy
the tranny. I will explain: When u drill the valve body to remove some
channels that direct the fluid it allows to much fluid to go through the
tranny, which isn't bad if you have the right computer to compensate the
difference in fluid flow and pressure. The problem is this computer doesnt
exsist.{we are all waiting for MaMopar to come out with it} The shift kit
increases the fluid flow, the computer OVER compensates decreasing the flow by
modifing the line preassure, limiting the fluid flow and fluid pressure to
vital parts. This causes parts to heat up and seize! The clutches and clutch
plates not to have enough pressure to compress them together causing the fluid
to turn brown with nasty metal shaving floating causing damage to sensitive
valve body components. The symptoms are : NO reverse (lack of fluid flow),
Slips in ALL forward gears (no explanation needed "no go") Loud rattling
noise from clutch plates and bands in neutral and park (sounds like metal
parts shearing and tearing the virgin tranny to hell) LOL Well someone has to
laugh, crying won't fix my tranny!! I have to get a new tranny! They sell
for 1300 dollars! Please don't make the same mistake I did, the 90 dollar
shift kit and a few weeks of most righteous shifting will not be worth 1300
dollars (plus labor!) and weeks of having to save enough to get a new tranny.
I thought about rebuilding, but with as much metal this caused to be spawned
and proliferated inside the tranny I don't think it will ever be right again!
The shift kit is not for computer controlled trannies! It will work for older
Dakotas that have the 500 or 44R (same) because there is no computer
controlling the line pressure. Just wanted to warn you, I learned the hard
way. Hope I didn't give anyone indigestion!