Re: Noisy transfer case

From: dndj@teleport.com
Date: Fri Mar 12 1999 - 12:39:46 EST

Wayne,

Thanks for the info. I actually had a chance to drive my brother's 98 Dak
4x4/CC/5.2/Auto last night. He's only got 17k miles but it also has the
same transfer case whine in 4H, just not quite as loud as mine, probably
because of lower mileage. Since yours also makes the same noise and has
done it since it was new, I think it's pretty much safe to assume that
this is just a normal noise for the NV231 and not an indication of anything
wrong. The NV242 full time case in my Durango is totally quiet, one other
person on the list also said the same thing about his. Perhaps it's
designed to be inherently quieter due to the full time mode.

The NV231 transfer case is chain drive so I would tend to think the noise
would actually get somewhat worse as the chain stretches over the miles.

The fluid was kind of darkish looking, I'm glad I went ahead and changed
it anyway.

Dale