Noisy transfer case

From: Dale and Denise Juenemann (dndj@teleport.com)
Date: Wed Mar 10 1999 - 00:40:39 EST

Looking for other experiences regarding transfer case noise.

At 30k miles, I recently noticed that my 97 Dak (4x4, Auto, CC, 5.2L) is
emitting a moderate whining noise, only in 4H mode, when accelerating
hard or decelerating. It is most noticeable decelerating around 40 mph
but can be heard from 10 mph on up to highway speeds. The whining noise
is definitely coming from the 4wd shifter itself or the floorboard area
around it. It's not obnoxiously loud but easily heard with the radio
off. This is the NV231 part-time only T-case. I crawled under the
truck and everything looks fine and intact on the shift linkage.

The service mgr at my local dealer took it for a ride and heard the
noise. He wasn't sure whether it was normal or not since he didn't have
lots of experience with Daks. He did mention that they have had very
few problems with the NV231 and said he wanted to drive another Dak for
comparison, but he hasn't got back to me yet. I would really appreciate
input from folks whether or not you experience this noise, because I
want to press the dealer into fixing this before I go out of warranty if
there's a bearing/gear on it's way out.

My wife's 99 Durango is absolutely quiet, but it has the NV241 full time
transfer case, so I can't directly compare.

Dale J.
dndj@teleport.com