Re: Offroad trails

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 12 1999 - 18:49:31 EST

Hey, I grew up and just graduated from college in Oregon. I now live
in Vegas (that's where the Air Force sent me--bummer, huh?), but I
used to go wheel'n with my Dad back in the day. The thing about
Oregon is the environmentalists have basically gotten the woods locked
up. One place I know you should check out is the Tillamook National
Forest (look up the USFS in your phone book). I never got the chance
to go myself, but I've heard there's a lot of trails for dirt bikes,
so I imagine there's some wheeling for 4x4's. If you want to take a
trip over the Cascades to Bend, there's a really cool desert rec area
to check out. Jeez, what's the name? . . . anyway, its east of Bend
(sorry I can't remember). It's kind of nicer to wheel in the desert
(as I've found out being down here in the Vegas) because you don't
have to worry about sliding into a tree or something. Anyway, the
main places you can go are government lands--either BLM or USFS. If
you just want to drive in the woods, they have plenty of logg'n roads
you can drive until you get lost, which is why you'd want the maps.
Hope I've been of some service.

Later,
JY