Re: Changing Tranny Fluid

From: Marie Pimental (pimental@massed.net)
Date: Sat Mar 13 1999 - 20:12:49 EST

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:29:12 +0000
> From: Patrick Delgado <dadoctah@worldnet.att.net>
> Subject: Re: DML: Changing Tranny Fluid
>
> Yeah but how do drain the torque converter if there is no drain plug.
> BTW, what's the deal on drain plugs and grease fittings(the lack thereof)
> on these modern vehicles. It's as if the OEM's didn't want people to maintain
> them.
> Dr. Pat
>
> - ----------
>>From: Marie Pimental <pimental@massed.net>
>>To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
>>Subject: DML: Changing Tranny Fluid
>>Date: Fri, Mar 12, 1999, 7:56 PM
>>

>>> Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 22:07:21 EST
>>> From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
>>> Subject: Re: DML: Re: Changing Tranny Fluid
>>>
>>> In a message dated 3/11/99 6:40:26 PM Central Standard Time,
>>> gary.shook@mci.com writes:
>>>
>>> <<
>>> It's hard to find synthetic 7176+ ATF... I think Redline makes one, and
>>> maybe Amsoil... but I just decided to get what I could find local...
>>> >>

>>> I was thinking of using a synthetic ATF, which I know Amsoil is 7176
>>> compatible(and I do have a very local dealer), but I was also thinking I am
>>> not sure it would be worth it at about $7.50 a quart do put just 4 quarts
in
>>> when the rest of the ATF in the tranny would be conventional ATF; not really
>>> gettng the benifits of the synthetic and seem to be wasting money. Anyways,
>>> have akways changed my ATF every 25-35,000 miles; so if you do regular
>>> changes, the synthetic ATF really isnt worth it. Thanks for the input.
>>> Kyle
>>> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6; 101,900 miles
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>
>> Kyle, If you use Amsoil trans. fluid and drain the torque converter the
>> Amsoil will last for 90,000 to 100,000 miles. This is well worth the $7.50.
>> No need to change it anymore.
>> Wayne
>> 98 Dak RT CC
>>

> ------------------------------

Dr. Pat,
If you don't have a drain plug on the converter there is a way to drain it.
Get a gallon jug. Find the tranny cooling lines going into the radiator.
Drain the tranny oil pan and measure how much was in the pan, usually around
4 quarts. Replace filter with a new one. Put the pan and new gasket on. Add
the same amount of fluid that came out of the pan. Now go back to your
cooling lines and remove one of them. Put a rubber hose on the end of the
cooling line and put the other end in the jug. Start the engine and if you
have the right line the fluid will come out and into the jug, if not put it
back and try the other one. Once fluid begins to flow out, measure out 4
quarts and stop the engine. Add 4 more quarts and do the same thing till you
use up 12-13 qts. of fluid. Now your tranny is completely flushed including
the converter. You will need a helper, it gets a little messy if you do it
alone.
I hope this all makes sense to you and the guys on the list.
Good luck,

Wayne P
98 RT CC