Exhaust 'blanket" fixes header rattle...

From: Michael & Jeannine Reynolds (jeanninemike@fuse.net)
Date: Sun Mar 14 1999 - 17:59:56 EST

Hello DMLers:

Saturday, I received by exhaust "blanket" piece from Jeff at JBA headers.
This blanket is an aluminum sandwich with some sort of heat retardant
insulation in the middle. Jeff sent me a square of this stuff that is
approximately 1 foot square. So, while I was putting on my Ram's head
Dodge splash guards, I had the passenger front wheel off and decided to
install the blanket. It was too long by about 6", so I trimmed it so that
it wouldn't hit the control arm. Then, I took two coat hangers and cut off
the hooks. I wrapped the hangers around the blanket and frame rail and
twisted them to tighten them up. Next, I painted the aluminum part of the
blanket that showed through the front wheel well with flat black paint.
Finally, I replaced the wheel and went for a ride. Viola!! No more header
rattle against the frame! Now, I just hope that this blanket material holds
up for the long haul. Thanks again for all of the opinions and advice that
I received. It really helped me to locate the problem. I also really like
my Ram's head splash guards. They look great and are heavy duty.

Michael Reynolds
'98 Dakota Sport 4X4 CC
5.2L Flame Red
180 T-stat, JBA headers