death of the R/T and "R/T controversy"

From: Bruckman (bruckman@netnitco.net)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 00:53:30 EST

I have heard from another source that the Intrepid R/T will produce 242 hp.
No figure for the weight, but today's Intrepid ES is 3519 lbs. That's pretty
good compared to 3924 for the Dakota R/T. Plus the Intrepid's drag
coefficient is 0.300 compared to the Dakota which is... well, since i don't
know the exact figure, let's just say, "not even close."

One thing you should note though... If you have ever looked into the engine
compartment of a Concorde or Intrepid, both of which uses a very similar
3.2L V6, you will notice there is about as much room as in a Corvette's. The
cab-forward design leaves little room to mess around with... it just seems
like you'd break something if you touched anything in there. So, the
Dakota still has the advantage that you can easily make all sorts of
modifications to make her go faster, and faster.

Personally, I think even if they made versions of all their products with
comparable power to our Daks, it doesn't bring down the Dakota one bit. I
want to see an entire line of vehicles that tear their competitors up. Not
that they don't already, my Mother's Concorde (like the Intrepid with the
225hp V6) can eat any other mid-to-large car for breakfast. So bring on a
Neon, Stratus, or Caravan that can pull 14's and 15's stock. What are we
afraid of? At the end of the day we can still tow them all home.

Sean