Re: Was I stupid to buy the dak I did?

From: Mitzi & David Fishman (fish@ihot.com)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 00:28:19 EST

Okay...I'm gonna have to go against the grain here.

He's 18 and insurance on the new dak is $4140 per year. He can't afford
to make a new car payment, so he's leasing (and we all know how dumb
leases are, right?) $345/month *IS* a new car payment.

Yes, I think you made a mistake. If I were to give you advice before
you signed papers, I'd have said go buy a cheap used truck and drive it
until either a) the accidents are off of your record and insurance costs
get back within reason, or b) you have enough money to afford to
actually buy a truck and pay for insurance.

Think about it...at the end of a three year lease, you will have paid
$7272 in lease payments (assuming your $202/mo) and $12420 in insurance
payments. $19692 paid after three years and you don't even get to keep
the truck. That's ground glass in the vaseline, dude.

Assuming you aren't full of shit and assuming you could actually make
your $547/month lease+insurance payment, you would be FAR better off
dumping it into an S&P500 index fund somewhere for the next five to
seven years when your accidents go away...and then guess what? You will
have the $CASH$ to buy a new truck! In fact, probably enough to buy two
trucks plus goodies and insurance for a couple of years.

Off soapbox...

fish
99STL+CC4x4v8