Re: Synthetic Oil...PHOOEY (reply)

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Mon Mar 15 1999 - 13:12:46 EST

Randy Fox wrote:

> If you got 450,000 with organic oil, I dare say it had to be almost
> exclusively highway
> miles. Organic oil creates its own sludge during city driving
> scenerios. A co-worker
> had to have the oil pan removed and the oil pickup tube cleaned out in a
> '94 Ranger,
> because the screen in the oil pan was almost totally blocked (at 27,000
> miles) from
> driving less than 3 miles to work each day.

  This is not an indictment of mineral oil. The problem here was that
constant < 5 mi trips will always create sludge, because the oil never
heats up enough to deal with the condensation in the sump.

  However, these short trips are an example of extreme use, and the
sludge created with synthetics will be minuscule compared to that with
mineral oil.

  My wife had a job about 4 miles away from home and I got to know this
aspect inside and out. Synthetics were definitely a good change.

  Ron