Re: Which motor oil to use?

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Wed Mar 17 1999 - 13:09:46 EST

Because it's better than "Dino" Oil, and doesn't cost as much as 100%
Synthetic. I buy the Durablend mainly because my wife likes to drive her Jeep
until the oil pan is just about empty...I think it's what she refers to as "Oil
Recycling" :) Do I need to run it...of course not...would it give me slightly
better protection over 5K miles...yes...do I personally change my oil over 5K
miles...Hell No. (3500-5000miles max.) Plus, I'm not stressed over a couple
bucks for a quart of oil...four to five dollars per quart is kinda silly though
unless you're doing some serious racing. (And 1/4 mile runs on a weekend or two
doesn't qualify as serious racing...Bracket Racing, Offroad Racing, etc...that
does and I wouldn't run anything but Synthetic. When I was Bracket Racing my
old BB Camaro, all I ran was Redline 20w50.)

When my truck was new (2/97) all I ran was Castrol 10w40 until I moved out here
(Texas). California doesn't get as hot and this last summer took a little
getting used to. Dust, Heat, Dirt...yeah...ok...I'd rather have that extra
protection...

At 11:41 AM 3/17/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Can you please explain why you spend the extra money for Durablend, when
>
>it's more expensive than organic oil, and doesn't have the full benefit
>of synthetic
>(especially when you're saying there's no need for synthetic
>anyway--IYHO).
>

>Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:44:29 -0600
>From: "Bernd D. Ratsch" <bernd@texas.net>
>Subject: RE: DML: Mobil-1 vs. Amsoil
>
>What Oil do I use...Valvoline Durablend. Hey...It's inexpensive, works
>great...and why waste extra money on oil that you're just going to
>change at
>3500-5000 mile intervals...My old 1969 Javelin has never seen any
>Synthetic
>(or Synth-Blend) oils in its life and the only reason I had to rebuild
>the
>engine...at 180K miles...was because one of the rings broke and screwed
>up
>the block.
>
>My dad is an Amsoil Rep and he's tried their brands in his cars...what
>does
>he use...Castrol GTX 10w30. He changes the oil every 3500 miles and the
>
>engines last just as long.
>
>Bernd D. Ratsch
>Pflugerville, TX
>bernd@texas.net

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
bernd@texas.net
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd
1997 Dakota SLT-CC (3.9L)
License Plate Frame: "Don't Follow Me...I'm Trolling for Toyota's"
Song for the Day: "Gonna buy me a Dodge Truck and blow those Fords off the
road....."