Re: 1/4 Mile Times vs Speeds

From: Bobby Nicks (bwnicks@ibm.net)
Date: Sat Mar 20 1999 - 15:48:46 EST

Robert Trottmann wrote:

> I was just looking over my little paper prizes from last night and
> realized that my times varied between a worst of 14.848, to a best of
> 14.679, but my speeds only varied from 91.55 to 91.87. Is this some
> evil trick by the coefficient of friction gods or what? When I ran a
> 15.076 it was at 90.10....shouldn't there be more variation?
> Just wonderin'
> Robert

Robert,

Last night at the track you made the statement that you hadn't
change anything since last time out when you ran 15.07. Only
that you had learned how to launch without wheel spin.

MPH in the quarter is an indication of horsepower, ET is more of
how well you can put that horsepower to the pavement. You can set
on the line and spin like crazy and screw up your ET, but the MPH
will still be about the same. Look at your 60 ft. times, if they are
the same your ETs should be very close, if that is a difference in
the 60 ft. times then your ETs will be different, but the MPH will
still be the same.

Bob Nicks