Re: speed plans

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 23 1999 - 00:34:59 EST

At 12:12 AM 3/23/99 , you wrote:
>At 11:31 PM 3/22/1999 -0500, you wrote:
[...]
>> Check out www.hughesengines.com. They have some info there about their
>>porting and some prices too. They also offer cams which are supposedly a
>>lot better than the "generic" cams that you can get through crower and the
>>like. (something about a fast rate of lift or something) I don't know if
>>its true or just marketing hype, but the site might help to answer some of
>>your questions.
>>
>Jon, the high rate of lift is true. Mopars have .904 diameter (i think!)
>lifters, while Shivvy's have a smaller diameter lifter. This allows a
>higer rate of lift. Most cams are ground on chevy lobes, so most cam
>companies give the Mopars the smaller lobe sizes. Hughes doesn't though.
>They have Mopar specific camshafts ground for them. There's a lot more to
>it, gets hard for me to explain it, though...I don't think any of that made
>sense, btw, but hey, I tried!
>
>Brian

  Thanks for the info, Brian! One of these days, I should probably send
Hughes an e-mail message with what I want to do with the truck, and see
what sort of package they come up with as far as heads, cam, etc. go. I
should probably check with Kammer & Kammer too. Hughes has a really neat
stroker kit for the 360, complete with a forged crank and Keith Black
pistons. Unfortunately its about $2K. Oh well. :-)

  Thanks again for the info! Its good to know that its not just hype.
I'll have to seriously consider one of their cams.

                                               -Jon-