Re: speed plans

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Tue Mar 23 1999 - 00:12:36 EST

At 11:31 PM 3/22/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>At 10:52 PM 3/22/99 , you wrote:
>>DML'ers,
>>
>>My plan is to have my truck running in the 14.x's by
>>the end of the summer. After the B&F TB, my next mod
>>will most likely be a new cam. As this is a 4x4, I
>>can't spare the low-end. What's the difference between
>>a purple shaft and the R/T cam? (I'm assuming a purple
>>shaft is race-oriented)
>>
>>What should I expect to pay for a 3 angle valve job,
>>port polishing, and possibly milling a few thousandths
>>off the heads?
>

> Check out www.hughesengines.com. They have some info there about their
>porting and some prices too. They also offer cams which are supposedly a
>lot better than the "generic" cams that you can get through crower and the
>like. (something about a fast rate of lift or something) I don't know if
>its true or just marketing hype, but the site might help to answer some of
>your questions.
>

> -Jon-

Jon, the high rate of lift is true. Mopars have .904 diameter (i think!)
lifters, while Shivvy's have a smaller diameter lifter. This allows a
higer rate of lift. Most cams are ground on chevy lobes, so most cam
companies give the Mopars the smaller lobe sizes. Hughes doesn't though.
They have Mopar specific camshafts ground for them. There's a lot more to
it, gets hard for me to explain it, though...I don't think any of that made
sense, btw, but hey, I tried!

Brian