Re: K&N Filters

From: JeffofSLU@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 23 1999 - 10:28:13 EST

In a message dated 3/23/99 8:55:51 AM Central Standard Time,
pedrodon@hotmail.com writes:

<< Hey,

    I am putting an open element K&N filtercharger in 98 Dak, I went to
 my local parts shop and the said there isn't a open element K&N filter
 that was made for the 98 Dak (He even called K&N). So i was wondering
 which size filter i should get, and what other part to i need.

Sure there is. You can do one of two things:
                1) Call Summitt and ask them for the K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit for
your truck. Costs about $110 and comes with everything you need, including an
S-Bolt so that you can remove the stock bracket which is very restrictive.
Their number is 1-800-230-3030.
                2) Go to an Auto Zone or equivalent. Buy an Edelbrock 14 inch air filter
assembly. Also buy a 14x3 K&N Air Filter Element. Total cost should be about
$60.

If you go the Edelbrock route be sure and check to see if the can has a place
for the pcv breather hose on the bottom. I think it does, but I'm not sure.
You can make your own S-Bolt by bending a piece of all thread if you want.
Actually, you can use any 14 inch assembly, it doesn't have to be Edelbrock.
We put the FIPK on my friend's 98 and he had to cut off part of his upper
radiator hose to make it fit. You'll probably have to do the same. It's a bit
tight, but a 14 inch will fit.

Jeff