NV3500 shifts (or lack thereof)

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 01:57:10 EST

   Does anyone know what it is about the NV3500 which causes that
hesitation which results in slow shifts? It feels like there is some
resistance in there or something. If I'm sitting still with the clutch in,
I can bang through the gears quite nicely, but once I start moving, and
shift for real, just before it goes into gear, there is some sort of
resistance to overcome... It hesitatates for a bit. Is this just my
tranny, or is it common to all NV3500s? With the big long stick, its not
really noticable, but if
you grab the stick down about halfway, you'll notice it. (unless its just
my truck
that does it.) Obviously this is a detriment to fast shifts.

   I realize this is just a truck tranny, and it wasn't exactly designed to
give the drag racers lightning quick shifts, but what can I do to help the
situation? I'm sick of hearing those autos go banging down the track;
makes my shifts sound fairly primitive. Would changing the fluid to Red
Line help? I just built a short throw shifter for my truck, and this
problem is really annoying now due to the loss of part of the "lever"
action. If I want to shift as fast as possible, it takes some decent force
to slam that puppy home. I'm not really all that comforatable exherting
that kind of force on the tranny (even though it probably isn't much
different than the force exherted by the longer lever).

   I get the feeling that I won't be happy until I have a T-56 in there,
but maybe there is something I can do in the meantime? I may make my
shifter a tad longer, and change to Red Line... Anything else?
Originally, I didn't want to change to Red Line due to worries about
voiding the warranty, but I don't care anymore. If the NV3500 breaks and
Dodge won't cover it, I'll just buy a T-56. (Course, I'd probably have to
install a new driveshaft and rearend at the same time, so I'm not looking
forward to that bill...) :-P

  Thanks in advance!

                                               -Jon-