RE: RE: Re: RE: 24# Injectors?

From: Brucklacher, Brett (brettb@amgen.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 1999 - 18:40:09 EST

Technically speaking, neither the gasoline or the oxygen is a catalyst in
the reaction. By definition, a catalyst must remain unchanged chemically at
the end of the reaction. Hydrocarbons (gas) and oxygen combine (motivated by
a spark in our case) to form carbon dioxide and water. The energy is derived
from the breaking of chemical bonds.

That catalysts are left in tact is demonstrated by the catalytic converter--
in an ideal world, you would never need to replace your catalytic converter
because it is merely a catalyst in the conversion of unburned hydrocarbons
to carbon dioxide and water. Of course, we all know that eventually
catalytic converters fail, but that usually due to other reactions taking
place (water, contaminants in the fuel, etc) or physical damage (taking a
hammer to your cat b/c you'd like to get a low restriction one in its
place!) :^)

I think Bruce ran the injectors in conjunction with his ported TB and a
drop-in K&N, so he had the increased airflow to take advantage of the
increased fuel flow. Not sure how the injectors would act on a system with a
stock TB or other intake "restrictions"-- likely you'd run rich, the
computer would sense and lean out the injector pulse width...

DISCLAIMER: All the above reasoning is what I remember from Freshman
chemistry courses taken a few years ago!!! I may have screwed up some of the
details, but the basics of the theory are correct... I think! :^)

--Brett