Re: Defective Body/Cab Mounts?--the TSB

From: Jason Yates (j_hurricane_y@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Mar 26 1999 - 17:24:04 EST

Here's the TSB from the NHTSA site:

Service Bulletin Number: 971212236597
Bulletin Sequence Number: 628
Date of Bulletin: 9805
NHTSA Item Number: SB600607
Make: DODGE TRUCK
Model: DAKOTA
Year: 1998
Component: STRUCTURE:BODY
AS THE VEHICLE IS TURNED ONTO A STEEP INCLINE SUCH AS A DRIVEWAY
APPROACH. *YC

I, too, have heard the loud popping noise while off-roading; however, I
don't seem to have any damage. Guess I should crawl under the cab and
look at those bolts. I'm not sure the popping noise you heard is
associated with the dent you have in the back of the cab. I mean, at
the top of a steep incline you're going to have the cab and body the
farthest apart. The damage would have been more likely to occur at a
steep grade change . . . say at the bottom of a hill, causing a pinching
action, and your damage it seems. Anyway, hope this helps.

JY

--- Randy Fox wrote:
> Dennis,
>
> There is Technical Service Bulletin from Chrysler for '98 model
> Dakotas
> to have
> the cab mounting bolts replaced.
<snip>
> Randy Fox
> '98 FR CC R/T
>

> Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 01:08:26 -0600
> From: Dennis Baker <dbaker@deltech.net>
> Subject: DML: Defective Body/Cab Mounts?
>
> I just took my 98' 4x4 CC off-loading for the first time and about a
> week
> later after I finally decided to wash off all the mud I uncovered
> something
> rather interesting. Apparently while off-roading the back of the cab
> and the
> front top portion of my bed rammed into each other... The funny thing
> is
> that
> while we were having fun we heard a loud pop and upon further
> inspection
>
> couldn't hear a thing... It happened right after breaching the top of
> rather
> steep hill at a very slow pace in 4-low.
<snip>