Re: Bigger Cat?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 01:46:29 EST

At 02:56 PM 3/26/99 , you wrote:
>With all the talk about Headers, Shorties with bigger Y pipes, and front Cat
>pipes for non R/T Daks, etc... I still see the cat as a bottle neck. Anyone
>Know if there are any high performance upgrade cats available for our Daks? (
>this may be a stupid question)
>
>I have heard Hot Rod guys talk about getting cats with bigger openings, but
>what the hell do I know about Mods. I just got started doing this stuff.
>Another question is, if you want true dual exaust do you need two Cats? I
>have seen a 1987 IROC Z28 with something that looked like two cats.

  Yes, I believe you would need 2 cats to stay legal. (Actually, just the
act of altering the exhaust to a true dual would probably be illegal
anyway, so the cats would probably be irrelevant.) :-) (The legality of
modifying your exhaust varies from county to county, I believe, so you'll
have to check with the local authorities I guess. A good exhaust shop
might be able to tell you.)

                                               -Jon-