Was CB antennas, now CB's in general...

From: The Man From Utopia (tmfu@home.com)
Date: Sun Mar 28 1999 - 14:31:25 EST

> Fire-Stik (along with a few others) makes a "Quick Disconnect" for the CB
> Antenna's. However, you really don't want to disconnect the antenna when
> Offroading because you may just need it in a "situation". The old 102"
> Steel Whips are still the best for offroad since you can just bend it and
> tie it down with some fishing line...and it still works perfectly.

I wouldn't say it works perfectly. For an antenna to work at it's peak it
has to be straight up and down, and not near any metal objects. But you're
right that the ole 102" steel whip is the way to go. I used to mod CB's
years ago (extra channels, unlocking BFO's,power and modulation mods) when
you could, kinda like the way our trucks are today. I have a bunch of folks
in my area that run "heat" aka linear amps and the push the full 10 watts
that you can get out of the finals into these amps and they sound like crap
and cause so much cross channel splatter it's pathetic. I have an old
Teaberry Stalker IX Export that I'm temped to hookup again. I have an old
K40 lip mount but there is no place to mount it on my Dak( except in the
hood, hmmmm that may work, but would look ugly!!) Guess I gotta find a
magnetic mount(any one have one that they want to part with???). If you can
find some of those old Cobra 148 GTL AM/SSB units you can have all sorts of
fun with them. Go 40 below CH1 and up to 80 above 40. Unlock the "Clarifier"
aka BFO, and do some nice audio mods as well as power mods like replacing
the final output transistors. On the newer sets available today you can't do
all that neat stuff. I still have alot of my stuff in storage (OScope, Freq
counter, 20amp P/S, 2000w dummy load)...

Greg
95 DSCC v6 5Spd no CB