Twin Turbo Dak

From: Randy Fox (foxra@nad.adventist.org)
Date: Tue Mar 30 1999 - 11:53:34 EST

Yes, you have to spool up the turbos on every shift, unless you hold the

accelerator down and run the risk of blowing the engine if you hit
redline
before you grab the next gear. If you have a fast spooling turbo the
five
speed might not be as much of a hinderance. I believe twin turbo setups

have smaller turbos (for faster spool-up than a single turbo
application)
and usually work in stages. One comes on quickly at low RPM and the
second one comes on a little later. The GN, GNX, Syclone & Typhoons
all had Garret turbos but the technology has undoubtedly come a long way

since then. Ask the people you would buy the turbo stuff from to
furnish
data on manual and auto tranny applications and the improvement with
each.

Randy
'98 FR CC R/T

   I've been tossing around the idea of fabbing up a twin turbocharger
setup on my Dak for a while now. I've got a 5 speed though, and this is
an
aspect I haven't considered before. Is this boost thing a problem? Do
you
have to spool up the turbochargers with every shift? Would it depend on

the turbocharger? I was thinking of going with a pair of VNT Garretts.
didn't really notice a problem on my 5 speed 3L twin turbocharged
Mitsubishi. I don't know what turbo was used with that engine though.
(They didn't even offer an auto in that car.) I should think my 318
(eventually a 360) would throw more exhaust at the impellers than a 3
liter
V6. Plus, the variable nozzle setup should help to reduce the lag. ?

  Any volunteers to bankroll this project? ;-)